List:       freedesktop-xdg
Subject:    RE: Multiple DeskTops, HiColor theme, standardized icon names,
From:       "Bastian, Waldo" <waldo.bastian () intel ! com>
Date:       2006-06-30 15:49:23

>So as a third party developer, I should NOT install my app icon to
>hicolor, or my MIME type XML description file to
>$datadir/mime/packages, or my .desktop file to $datadir/applications?

No, in those cases there is an actual requirement to installing them in
a common location. As a result we have to go through some pain in
certain situations to get them there. In cases where there is no actual
requirement to have them in a common locations (applicatin private
icons), we should not impose that pain for no reason.

>We're already "imposing requirements" on third party apps wrt where
they
>should install things.

Yes, in cases where it makes sense.

>Why should enabling the ability for a standard
>method of fallback for icons that those apps want to have themed, be
>any less appropriate?

I'm not sure what "fallback" means. It's ok to specify a standard method
for looking for themed versions of a specific application private icon.
Where we disagree is that I say that it doesn't matter where the
application installs the versions that it ships and it is undesirable to
impose a location on the application without an actual need for it
because it introduces a certain amount of cumbersomeness. We pay that
price in the case of app icons, MIME types and .desktop files because we
have no choice there.

Cheers,
Waldo