List:       freedesktop-xdg
Subject:    startup-notification???
From:       Andrew Shafer <shafer () realmsys ! com>
Date:       2006-02-09 18:36:19

I want to have a launcher start a launchee and change the cursor on the
launcher until the launchee has mapped its window.

Is there any resource that can help me understand how to do this?

I've read through this:
http://standards.freedesktop.org/startup-notification-spec/startup-notification-0.1.txt

And downloaded startup-notification-0.8.tar.gz.

I compiled the tests and read through the code, but I don't understand
how to make heads or tails of the tests.  The only documentation is a
copy of the startup-notification.txt.  Am I missing some documentation?

Can someone explain what the tests are meant to test?

I can run them, but I don't understand what they are meant to
demonstrate.  For example, I run 'test-launcher' with a simple
application, and it runs, but that's about it.  Then I close the app and
the test-launcher doesn't return until I kill it.

I have a rudimentary understanding of X protocol, and I've read through
the test code but I'm still at a bit of a loss on how to accomplish the
above stated goal.

Any insight or direction would be appreciated.

Regards