List:       freedesktop-xdg
Subject:    Re: systray specification...
From:       Matthias Clasen <mclasen () redhat ! com>
Date:       2006-02-03 4:27:08

On Fri, 2006-02-03 at 12:38 +0900, Carsten Haitzler wrote:

> true. the other suggestion here is to use xrender pictures. it is a point. did
> think about it, but then decidced against for 2 reasons.
>
> 1. it allows the spec to be implemented on ANY XSERVER - even that ancient
> labtam monochrome 1bit terminal sitting on a 10mbit coax network. it will work.

I don't think RGBA tray icons are very relevant on that kind of
hardware, so I don't think this is a valid argument against using
Render.

[...]

> but do we want a spec like systray to RELY on currently "new"
> extensions
> that are in fact still mostly experimental even as of today (xrender
> acceleration is iffy - on a god day still).? i would dearly like such
> a spec to
> work even on old xservers embedded into x terminal thin clients in
labs or on
> old sun workstations etc. ?

I dont see the quality of current Render implementations have much
relevance to the question of using Render Pictures for holding image
data either.

Matthias

Matthias