List:       freedesktop-xdg
Subject:    Re: Proposal: cache directory tagging convention
From:       Claes Holmerson <claes () it-slav ! net>
Date:       2004-07-23 10:31:58

On Tue, 20 Jul 2004, Hongli Lai wrote:

> Anthony Metcalf wrote:
> > i.e. /var/cache exists for this purpose.
>
> Only problem is that it isn't world-writable...

Another problem is that it is actually shared. A web browser cache can
contain private or sensitive information that a user may not want to give
others access to. If it resides in his home directory, he can exclude
others from reading it.

If a system wide web proxy uses it - fine. But a private web browser? I
would say no.

Claes