List:       freedesktop-pm-utils
Subject:    Re: [Pm-utils] Making cron run after resume?
From:       Stefan Seyfried <seife () suse ! de>
Date:       2008-05-16 8:42:51

Victor Lowther wrote:

> The current behavior is (effectivly) "ignore everything".  I would like
> to make pm-utils a little smarter about how to handle things when (say)
> needed video quirks don't get applied causing the system to hardlock on
> resume.

In my implementation (no idea how the current code does it), i just touch the
$INHIBIT file (or even write some meaningful error message into it, which can
be displayed to the user later) and suspending will not happen.

Remember, refusing to suspend should only happen in very rare cases, i
currently only have a few for suspend to disk:
- the kernel changed (security update), so we know before suspend that we
can't resume
- there is no swap partition or more generally no storage for s2disk
configured => configuration error

"Being unable to apply video workarounds before s2ram" generally cannot happen
IMVHO (but i'm ready to be convinced the other way round).

Right now, just refusing to suspend and then later exiting with != 0 exit
code, so that the GUIs can display a "suspend had a problem, do you want to
look at the Log file / file a bugreport?" message was pretty effective and
worked very well for me.
--
Stefan Seyfried
R&D Team Mobile Devices            |              "Any ideas, John?"

This footer brought to you by insane German lawmakers:
SUSE Linux Products GmbH, GF: Markus Rex, HRB 16746 (AG Nürnberg)