List:       freedesktop-openicc
Subject:    Re: [Openicc] Synchronizing printer driver settings and printer profiles
From:       edmund ronald <edmundronald () gmail ! com>
Date:       2012-01-13 8:54:10

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

On Fri, Jan 13, 2012 at 2:11 AM, Robert Krawitz <rlk@alum.mit.edu> wrote:

> On Fri, 13 Jan 2012 01:11:13 +0100, edmund ronald wrote:
> > I'm not really as smart as y'all about software engineering aspects, but
> > rapidly scanning through some code, it looked like print settings can
> come
> > from a bunch of places, and it would be nice to have a single pinch-point
> > where Gutenprint final settings are known, in order to stream them out to
> > file for keeping as a preset, or in order to be able to write some clean
> > logic to merge a preset with the current user settings.
> >
> > Can such a pinch point be defined to create a single upstream gate for
> > Gutenprint?
>
> There are three places that options come from: the CUPS command line,
> the PPD file, and the CUPS page header.
>
> One possible mechanism would be a CUPS option passed on the command line
> (it might have to be in the PPD file also for CUPS to allow it through,
> I'm not certain) telling Gutenprint to ignore any color-relevant options
> in the PPD file and the CUPS page header, and only use the command line
> options.
> --
> Robert Krawitz                                     <rlk@alum.mit.edu>

I think we can say that the XML stuff is in place to make presets work, and
there is a prototype that sometimes works, but for software engineering
reasons making it work reliably requires some form of upstream constraint
of how it is invoked. Without such a constraint, debugging may be too hard.

Edmund