List:       freedesktop-openicc
Subject:    Re: [Openicc] ICC platform signature
From:       Kai-Uwe Behrmann <ku.b () gmx ! de>
Date:       2008-02-27 9:24:41

Am 26.02.08, 17:29 -0800 schrieb Hal V. Engel:
> On Tuesday 26 February 2008 03:32:27 Graeme Gill wrote:
> > Kai-Uwe Behrmann wrote:
> > > I have seen the '*nix' signature in Argyll profiles. Is this something to
> > > propose to ICC?
> >
> > It's an Argyll (icclib) extension. The ICC platform tags don't seem to be
> > keeping very current.

> As far as I can see there is no way to over ride it without modifying the
> code.  I am not sure that there is a need to do anything else since as far as
> I can tell this tag is not used for anything.
>
> I am wondering why this tag even exists.  Aren't ICC profiles supposed to be
> platform independent?

Well eigther we'd omit this field and show these profiles work everywhere,
'none'
or at least I'd like to see a signature for this header field, which
reflects the originating OS.

Beside '*nix', which seems pretty ok,
'free' or 'FOSS' would also fit well inside ;-)

kind regards
Kai-Uwe Behrmann
--
developing for colour management