List:       freedesktop-openicc
Subject:    Re: [Openicc] Questions about color pickers and graphics libraries
From:       Bob Friesenhahn <bfriesen () simple ! dallas ! tx ! us>
Date:       2008-02-14 6:13:01

On Wed, 13 Feb 2008, Chris Murphy wrote:

> First it's not very clear at what dynamic range or contrast ratio something
> is HDR. I don't know if there is a spec somewhere that defines these things,
> but I haven't come across that yet.

HDR is clearly beyond the range of human vision, and the parameters of
that were determined back in the 1930s.

> 60:000:1 contrast ratio? That's not just wide contrast ratio. That's HDR.

Human vision supports something like 30,000:1 but not in one scene.
Regardless, proper HDR formats support many orders of magnitude beyond
that.

It seems that the marketeers have taken charge of terminology, similar
to elsewhere.

Bob