List:       freedesktop-openfontlibrary
Subject:    Re: [OpenFontLibrary] Open Font Library Podcast: Dev Talk #3
From:       Aaron Spaulding <professionalaaron () gmail ! com>
Date:       2009-06-23 1:48:30

Dave Crossland wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The latest OFLB podcast is now online at
>
> www.openfontlibrary.org/2009-06-22_OFLB_devtalk.mp3
>
> and its a discussion with Aaron Spaulding about his Javascript work on
> the http://openfontlibrary.fontly.org/files/ listing

I apologize for the bad audio quality.  I bought a headset but it was
DOA, and had to use the mic built into my macbook. :(

I have some notes I prepared for the show that I thought would be
helpful to share.  There some things that I didn't mention during the show.

oflb_tag_filter

    * rewritten tag filtering
    * uses ajax
          o via Prototype
                + was included with ccHost
    * works around ccHost's idiosyncrasies
          o has a few of its own
    * calls fontPlaygroundPageLoader() with every request
          o need a better way letting font
            playground know of new content
          o if anything its probably slow
    * "All" link will not show all items
          o ccHost's Query API has a limit on the
            amount of items it can retrieve
                + 500?
    * some UI are links to #
          o harmless
          o will show up in address bar
          o possibly fix with port to jQuery

oflb_upload_list_narrow

    * moved typeface listing to oflb_upload_list_content

oflb_upload_list_content

    * a part of the Query API
    * has to be in that folder -- not a subfolder

Code present in 3 places

    * pages get auto populated by the contents of the url.
    * /files
    * /people/*
    * /tags/*

Other Discussion Topics

    * "Download" link
          o currently links to first uploaded file
                + broken
          o multiple font files
                + one zip file
          o link to upload page?
    * Tags list
          o goes on forever
          o should we list the 20-30 most used
            and have a "more..." link to /tags

TODO

    * Move JavaScript to separate file to improve cache usage
    * Use Query API to get tags
          o currently uses reverse engineered implementation
    * JQuery?
    * CSS UI tweaks
          o show selected sort criteria
          o show sort order
          o show that a tag can be removed by clicking on it
          o show "pointer" cursor when hovering over tags list
    * JS UI tweaks
          o allow closing tag filter list
          o add class to items per page selection
          o remove ccTagFilter function