List:       freedesktop-dbus
Subject:    Re: kdbus, bus1 and systemd/non-linux hosts
From:       "Thomas Kluyver" <thomas () kluyver ! me ! uk>
Date:       2023-04-11 9:21:18

Hi René,

This seems like a confusing request, at least to me. You start off talking about \
mechanisms that were meant to be part of the Linux kernel, but then you ask for \
cross-platform solutions. A messaging system built on sockets, like D-Bus, can be \
cross-platform much more easily than something built on a Linux-specific kernel \
feature. And D-Bus does work on Mac and Windows, although some of its features \
(passing file descriptors) aren't available on Windows.

FWIW, it looks like bus1 got shelved as well, at least adding it to the regular Linux \
kernel - development and discussion seem to dry up around 2016-17. It sounds like \
people found it was possible to write a higher-performance D-Bus message bus even \
without new kernel features, and this is where dbus-broker comes from.

> Part of my interest comes from the fact that I tend to work on \
> old/cheap/underdimensioned systems that I probably ask a bit much of. There are \
> times where a heavy dbus client like kmail becomes very sluggish, waiting for \
> something that probably involves dbus communication while there isn't a clear CPU \
> hogger.

Have you actually figured out that D-Bus itself is causing the slowness, and not \
whatever KMail is talking D-Bus to? Or is that a guess? It's *really* hard to guess \
correctly about performance in complex systems, so chasing ways to make D-Bus faster \
might well be a waste of time.

> I noticed that the dbus-daemon has a single-threaded design and cannot help but \
> wonder if that's still by definition the best approach these days.

Your old/cheap systems probably wouldn't see much, if any, benefit from a \
multithreaded dbus-daemon. Though that's a guess too. ;-)

Best wishes,
Thomas