List:       freedesktop-dbus
Subject:    Re: Fatal warnings in client code
From:       René_J.V. Bertin <rjvbertin () gmail ! com>
Date:       2023-03-06 20:35:13

On Monday March 06 2023 16:53:41 Thomas Kluyver wrote:

> > vulnerability. The default build-time configuration for libdbus is to
> > include "checks" that diagnose these programming errors when it is
> > straightforward to do so, by causing a deterministic crash that can
> > be investigated like any other. Typically these "checks" will detect

I agree with the OP that this is not recommendable behaviour for a library. If you \
can cause a deliberate crash you can also almost always also return an error that \
allows the calling code to handle the situation gracefully (and correct the bug). I \
know it's the annoying part of coding but it's not like DBus isn't a mature and \
well-maintained piece of software where all the easy-out error handling could have \
been made more constructive.

In an ideal world the devs of the calling code would catch all those bugs and the \
resulting crashes but in practice they'll only catch the most obvious ones. The \
remaining ones will all be in the face of users who just happen to play the role of \
fool proofer...

My 2 cents (that aren't up for debate)..

R.