List:       freedesktop-dbus
Subject:    Re: OpenTelemetry tracing of Dbus calls
From:       "Thomas Kluyver" <thomas () kluyver ! me ! uk>
Date:       2023-01-11 11:03:29

Hi Umut,

On Wed, 11 Jan 2023, at 10:09, Umut Tezduyar Lindskog wrote:
> We have around 40-50 dbus services which are the backends to http APIs. A backend \
> might talk to other backends. We can easily trace the HTTP APIs but it would also \
> be nice to add the dbus layer tracing to the overall picture.

And are these services things that your organisation defines, or code written \
elsewhere? Or a mixture? How practical would it be to add tracing information to \
method call arguments, without any change to D-Bus itself? I'm not saying that's what \
you should do, just getting the shape of the problem.

> I think it is important to understand the dbus community's interest in \
> OpenTelemetry. If the community is not interested then we can think about a \
> downstream solution. But ideally we like to contribute.

From my perspective it's conceptually interesting, but I've never tried to use \
OpenTelemetry or anything similar to that; I only know the vague idea. I'm hoping \
other people will chime in, though.

I think you might be facing a kind of cultural barrier. The cloud/microservices world \
that I imagine you're coming from probably has far more sophisticated tracing and \
monitoring tools than the desktop Linux world that created D-Bus. Even with D-Bus, I \
don't think we have anything like as much need to follow things from one process to \
another.

> One other way that I can think of is a dedicated FD which carries the context data. \
> This, of course, also needs changes in the client libraries.

Is there a specific reason you suggest a file descriptor? It would need spec changes \
and client library changes either way, there's extra complexity involved in sending & \
receiving FDs, and it's not always possible - e.g. D-Bus can be used on Windows, even \
though its main use cases are on Linux. So I'd assume a solution that adds simple \
data in the messages would be preferred to one using an FD.

Best wishes,
Thomas