List:       freedesktop-dbus
Subject:    Re: OpenTelemetry tracing of Dbus calls
From:       "Thomas Kluyver" <thomas () kluyver ! me ! uk>
Date:       2023-01-10 11:34:24

On Mon, 9 Jan 2023, at 10:28, Umut Tezduyar Lindskog wrote:
> Can the tracing/context data be sent over the dbus message header, granted this \
> needs to be supported by the dbus client libraries?

D-Bus has a 'header fields' array, but it doesn't allow non-standard headers, so to \
add a new field you'd need to propose a change to the spec. There are only 9 fields \
defined so far, in contrast to the dozens of standardised header fields for HTTP, and \
those 9 are all kind of integral to using D-Bus - there's no general metadata like \
the HTTP Date or Server headers. So I might guess this would be a tough sell, though \
it's not up to me.

Have you come across specific scenarios where something you're tracing is using D-Bus \
messages and you want to follow them? Perhaps starting from a concrete example would \
make prompt more discussion than the abstract approach.

Best wishes,
Thomas