List:       freedesktop-dbus
Subject:    future of at_console
From:       Lennart Poettering <mzqohf () 0pointer ! de>
Date:       2009-08-06 0:23:38

Heya!

So, what's the plan for at_console in D-Bus?

There are two options:

1) deprecate it and get rid of it because it was a bad idea, and this
should really be happening in polkit not in dbus itself. I'd be
willing to prep a patch for that, which sets at_console for all users
to FALSE and prints a warning if someone still uses that in the XML
config files.

2) Keep it but replace the dreaded pam_atconsole /var/run/console
checking mess we still have there with a tiny bit of code that
actually reads the ckit database. We don't need to maintain that
database twice and this would allow us to get fully rid of
pam_atconsole. I'd be wiling to prep a patch for this, too.

I'd vote for solution #1. Opinions?

Lennart

lennart [at] poettering [dot] net