List:       freedesktop-create
Subject:    Re: [CREATE] [LGM] server migration of the IRC channel?
From:       Nathan Willis <nwillis () glyphography ! com>
Date:       2021-05-24 16:26:13

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

Yeah; I would also add that — regardless of whatever noble intentions the
Libre-Chat volunteers may have as people — so far, the new network's
backing project and organizational foundation seems worryingly vague and
undefined.

Which is, like, doubly ironic, considering that having an ad-hoc,
not-formally-defined structure was clearly one of the problems with
Freenode that led to the present situation.

But even if it wasn't for that, jumping ship to a new service provider that
doesn't have a clear structure seems super risky.

Nate

On Mon, May 24, 2021 at 5:20 PM Alexandre Prokoudine <
alexandre.prokoudine@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Given the contradictory statements between the two parties of the
> conflict, why would anyone make rushed judgements?
>
> Alex
>
> On Mon, May 24, 2021 at 6:41 PM Timothée Giet <animtim@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > Some of you probably followed the story, some may not... To make it
> short:
> > -Most (if not all) of the volunteer staff running the freenode IRC
> > server have resigned because of a conflict with a company that took-over
> > the network.
> > (more info here: https://www.kline.sh/ )
> > -They created a new network to replace it: libera.chat
> >
> > Lots of projects and communities already migrated to libera, or other
> > networks.
> >
> > So first, the big question is:
> > -Should we officially migrate the #lgm channel there?
> > The biggest concern I've read against doing this right now is that
> > libera is not yet bridged to matrix, so it can be an issue for those who
> > want to rely on it to have a persistent log independent from their
> > connection.
> > Though such bridge is underway
> > (https://github.com/matrix-org/matrix-appservice-irc/issues/1324), but
> > may not be ready before the conference.
> >
> > The second point is about the conference this week:
> > As last year we intend to have the main discussion channel of the
> > conference on IRC (at #lgm-online, keeping #lgm for side discussions).
> > Considering the situation with freenode, I would feel less comfortable
> > using it for the conference.
> >
> > So we plan to use the libera server at least for the conference. To be
> > safe I already registered #lgm and #lgm-online channels on libera.
> > I hope this won't be a problem. If there is strong disagreement we may
> > stay on freenode for the event, but it would be better to be allowed to
> > move to libera for this.
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Timothée

nathan.p.willis