List:       freedesktop-create
Subject:    [CREATE] =?iso-8859-1?q?Art_=26_Montr=E9al_=28was_Re=3A__LGM_2011?=
From:       Schrijver <eric () authoritism ! net>
Date:       2010-09-07 22:41:28

Superduper!

I’ll try hard to make it there.

Quoting John Cruz on the Libre Graphics Day Australia:

> Probably the first thing I can recommend is to be sure to try to reach any local \
> artistic communities that you can.

I read the description of the Montreal proposal and among the local partners I did \
not see an arts organisation. I think that would be shame.

For me it was important in Brussels; the connection to Constant vzw and to the \
Networked Media Program of the Piet Zwart Institute. If there wouldn’t have been \
these links I do not know if I as an artist would have dared to attend.

It enables a connection between worlds that can benefit from each other (and also \
clash, but that’s good too!).

If I understand it correctly, reaching out to artists is also one of the goals of \
LGM.

Montréal:

> Its media arts centres and products, the remarkable contribution of its \
> universities, the diversity and renown of its cybercultural thinkers, the ingenuity \
> of its researchers, and the number and quality of its e-magazines, have bestowed on \
> Montréal an enviable international reputation in the world of cyberculture.

http://ville.montreal.qc.ca/portal/page?_pageid=4517,7008351&_dad=portal&_schema=PORTAL

So for me it would be great if we could make some connection to the media art scene.

What do you think?

Anyone have contacts there?

It’s of course a bit short term to arrange any kind of collaboration, but at the very \
least the artistic world could be made aware of what’s going on so interested people \
can join and see the lectures.

As a connection point, Libre graphics does not only have a relation to the \
traditional graphic processes but also I think to developments like generative design \
and software art. You can see this in projects like Shoebot and Nodebox but for \
example also the ‘processing’ language http://processing.org/  —that’s an important \
software tool in this respect and its a free and open source project. Actually maybe \
we could invite someone from their team?

This generative approach is gaining some steam,
For example,
http://www.generative-gestaltung.de/
This book was the top selling book on the German Amazon,
there will be an English version too.

And a new text-book on software in art and design was just released by Princeton \
Architectural Press which is meant for art education: http://formandcode.com/

Some thoughts.
What do you think?

Best,

Eric

Op 7 sep 2010, om 21:12 heeft Louis Desjardins het volgende geschreven: