List:       freedesktop-create
Subject:    Re: [CREATE] OpenRaster layer attributes: lock and visibility
From:       Martin Renold <martinxyz () gmx ! ch>
Date:       2009-12-04 18:39:53

On Fri, Dec 04, 2009 at 03:16:54PM +0100, Jon Nordby wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 3, 2009 at 9:35 AM, Cyrille Berger <cberger@cberger.net> wrote:
> > visibility=visible|hidden (the advantage of this, is that in the future, we
> > can support more).

If more values are possible in the future, then we should also define how to
react to an unknown value.

From a compatibility point of view, it would be better for an newer
application to add a new attribute, and tell the old applications how to
interpret this by adding the old attribute until all apps are updated.

> Works for us! If anyone has objections, please raise them now.

- missing visibility ==> visible
- unknown value      ==> visible

If nobody objects, let's just do it that way. We can still make a forward
compatible extension with that, if anyone else cares.

> Would it be acceptable to ignore the alpha-locked attribute in an
> application?

I think so, because it doesn't affect how the image looks.  Would be nice if
the saved ORA would preserve the value, I guess.