List:       freedesktop-compiz
Subject:    [compiz] Patch: switcher's window is a splash window
From:       davidr () novell ! com (David Reveman)
Date:       2006-12-28 15:02:52

On Thu, 2006-12-28 at 22:14 +0100, Stjepan Glavina wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I made a simple patch which makes switcher's window a splash window
> (_NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE_SPLASH). This way I can easily add effects for it.
> The window is a splash window, so why not use this type instead of
> Unknown? Beryl's switcher window is a Splash window too. Is there a
> reason why Compiz uses Uknown for it?

Splash window type indicates that the window is a splash screen
displayed as an application is starting up. I wouldn't say that this is
what the switcher window is. To me it seems like the switcher window
better match the behavior of a parentless dialog or the new notification
window type.

A non-override-redirect window without a type hint should be considered
of type Normal, according to the EWMH spec. So as long as I'm not
convinced that some other type than Normal is more correct, I wont be
setting that hint.

You can always look for the "_SWITCH_SELECT_WINDOW" hint if you really
need to determine if a window is a switcher window.

-David