List:       freedesktop-compiz
Subject:    [compiz] Re: compiz Digest, Vol 7, Issue 20
From:       hesperaux () gmail ! com (David)
Date:       2006-09-29 23:06:06

  Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2006 20:42:28 +0100
  From: Colin Guthrie <gmane@colin.guthr.ie>
  Subject: [compiz] Re: beryl fork
  To: compiz@lists.freedesktop.org
----------
I want to comment on the fork too. I apologize if this isn't the right
venue, but it's my response to Colin's words to David.
I think the fork is a good thing. It separates the new purpose that
has evolved from the old one - and frankly they are different. I think
any Linux user would agree that any good project gets forked. If I
were Mr. Reveman (forgive me if I spelled that wrong), then I would
take this development as a compliment: that my hard work has
influenced a great many people, and motivated just as many. I, myself,
plan on making my own window manager in the future, once I learn to
program, because of Compiz. I credit this to Dave's work, and I
respect Compiz very much. I am like him in that I always want the
best, most efficient code to be written (I do web coding) for version
1. Obviously there are always bugs, but in terms of organization,
structure, method, etc.It's almost a compulsion, and it doesn't serve
me too well because everyone (myself included when I am the user, not
the programmer) wants the quick fix, the temporary solution, the
instant gratification. So I think the fork is a good thing, because so
far, what I understand is that Beryl is a tad bit more radical (not to
say reckless at all), while Compiz is more calculated. I think it
provides both sides of the plane: one, the long-written, efficient
method and two, the quick, evolving, creative method. I will be going
with Beryl personally, because I want instant gratification and cool
effects before pretty code. That's how I feel as a user. Again, my
gratitude to David Reveman for even proceeding with this venture in
the first place, because it has developed into something very
exciting.

-David (Not Reveman ;P)
[ 2.6.16-gentoo-r12, AMD Opteron 165@1.8GHz Dual Core, 2x1G G.Skill
DDR533 184-pin, e-VGA nVidia 7900GT KO, Silverstone Strider 600W, Asus
A8N-SLI-Premium, 445G disk space]