List:       freeciv-i18n
Subject:    Re: [Freeciv-i18n] Gaelic (gd)
From:       Jacob Nevins <0jacobnk.gna () chiark ! greenend ! org ! uk>
Date:       2011-07-20 0:21:36

Replying to several threads at once:

Michael Bauer writes:
> 3) Does every localisation automatically get added as a nation or how
> does that process work?

In addition to Daniel's comments:

There's no automatic link between localisations and in-game nations. You
can make suggestions for improvements in the normal way: submit a ticket
to the tracker. Best to assign them to Jos ("mixcoatl"), our current
nations maintainer.

> it would be nice to have Gaels (or Scots and Irish, whichever) as a
> nation.

You can browse the Gaelic nation that will be in 2.3.x here:
<http://svn.gna.org/viewcvs/freeciv/branches/S2_3/data/nation/gaelic.ruleset?view=markup>

We've had Scots and Irish for a while. The Scots city list has been
improved post-2.3.x (will be in 2.4.x):
<http://svn.gna.org/viewcvs/freeciv/trunk/data/nation/scottish.ruleset?view=markup>
Here are the Irish:
<http://svn.gna.org/viewcvs/freeciv/branches/S2_3/data/nation/irish.ruleset?view=markup>

> [Daniel:]
> > Head over to gna.org and apply for Freeciv project membership. Svn
> Already had that (fios@akerbeltz.org)
> > write permissions will then come after setting up public key
> > authentication with Gna. We have a tutorial for this on the wiki
> > (search for 'svn').
> Hrr, you mean http://freeciv.wikia.com/wiki/Svn?

Ah no, that one's all about read-only access. You wanted the _other_ page:
<http://freeciv.wikia.com/wiki/Freeciv_source_read-write_access_for_developers_and_translators>
 (I've fixed the link from the l10n page.)

> Ok, Kevin gave me a hand and the old gd.po has now been committed and I've
> managed to merge the freeciv.pot with my gd.po to work on.

I see Kevin's merged your gd.po with the trunk freeciv.pot and committed
it to trunk.

Normally I'd recommend you work with the freeciv.pot from the stable
branch, currently S2_3. Trunk is more subject to string churn -- typo
fixes, wholesale rewrites, extra documentation -- so you might find some
of your work is wasted. S2_3 has been through all that in the run-up to
2.3.0, so is more stable, and should have a good run of releases ahead
of it. Plus this means your work sees the light of day sooner :)

(For the avoidance of doubt, I wouldn't bother with the S2_2 branch,
since it's not clear there'll ever be another release off it. Most
translators have already moved on.)

I can merge your original (old) gd.po with S2_3's freeciv.pot and check
the result in to S2_3, if you like (probably after the errors below are
fixed)?

After that, new merged versions of translations periodically appear at
<http://www.cazfi.net/freeciv/translations/S2_3/> (including the new
freeciv.pot).

BTW, if you have GNU gettext installed, you can always merge your
translation with a new freeciv.pot without needing a working checkout of
the Freeciv code, like this:
$ msgmerge gd.po freeciv.pot -o gd.new.po
(where gd.po is your old localisation and gd.new.po will be the result)

> Could someone else please affect those other changes needed for a new
> language that the wiki talks about? You *really* don't want me running
> commands anywhere near such a directory. ;)

I'll do it. I've raised <http://gna.org/patch/?2814> for it.

However, I can't enable it yet, as there are some errors in the file
currently checked in to trunk:

gd.po:6: invalid plural expression
gd.po:10960: format specifications in 'msgid' and 'msgstr' for argument 1 are not the \
same gd.po:11078: format specifications in 'msgid' and 'msgstr' for argument 2 are \
not the same gd.po:11104: format specifications in 'msgid' and 'msgstr' for argument \
1 are not the same gd.po:11120: format specifications in 'msgid' and 'msgstr[0]' for \
argument 2 are not the same gd.po:11140: 'msgstr' is not a valid C format string, \
unlike 'msgid'. Reason: The string ends in the middle of a directive. gd.po:11154: \
'msgstr' is not a valid C format string, unlike 'msgid'. Reason: The string ends in \
the middle of a directive. gd.po:13685: format specifications in 'msgid' and 'msgstr' \
                for argument 1 are not the same
/usr/bin/msgfmt: found 9 fatal errors

> That leaves the svn access to sort out, I can check out as I said but the
> checking in isn't working. I'd need someone to talk me through that key
> thing.

Perhaps the page linked above will give some clues.

If you don't get it working, you can always submit files here or to a
ticket on gna.org, and someone will commit them.