List:       freeciv-dev
Subject:    [Freeciv-Dev] [bug #21247] fill_sprite_array() has no array bounds checks
From:       Jacob Nevins <NO-REPLY.INVALID-ADDRESS () gna ! org>
Date:       2013-11-03 14:08:48

             Assigned to: None
        Originator Email:
             Open/Closed: Open
                 Release:
         Discussion Lock: Any
        Operating System: Any
         Planned Release:

Details:

fill_sprite_array() and descendants have a pattern where they increment an
array pointer passed in a number of times and return how many times they did
it. There is no check that the array is big enough, nor any way of growing
it.

fill_sprite_array() is called from put_one_element(), which passes an array
tile_sprs[80].

It might be that this is big enough for all possible tilesets; it seems
likely, but without a detailed audit I can't say for sure.

It would be better if some idiom that will spot overflow is used. While this
code is frequently used, it is also complex, so I can't imagine the execution
overhead will be overwhelming.

  <http://gna.org/bugs/?21247>