List:       freeciv-dev
Subject:    [Freeciv-Dev] [bug #21185] "couldn't allocate starting positions" on start when attempting to build
From:       Jacob Nevins <NO-REPLY.INVALID-ADDRESS () gna ! org>
Date:       2013-11-03 10:47:16

Update of bug #21185 (project freeciv):

Follow-up Comment #3:

Reproduced (with standalone 2.4.0 server on Linux with default settings, apart
from size=2048 and aifill=126). For me there's an additional message which may
shed light. Here's what's in the server console:

1: Requested size of 2048 is too big for this topology.
2: Creating a map of size 1236 x 1648 = 2036928 tiles (2048000 requested).
[very long pause -- several minutes]
2: The server appears to have got itself into an infinite loop in the
allocation of starting positions.
Maybe the number of players is too high for this map.
1: The server couldn't allocate starting positions.
1: Failed to create suitable map, retrying with another mapseed
1: Requested size of 2048 is too big for this topology.
2: Creating a map of size 1236 x 1648 = 2036928 tiles (2048000 requested).
[another long pause]
2: The server appears to have got itself into an infinite loop in the
allocation of starting positions.
Maybe the number of players is too high for this map.
1: The server couldn't allocate starting positions.
1: Cannot create suitable map with given settings.
1: Please report this message at http://gna.org/projects/freeciv/

Note the "Requested size of 2048 is too big for this topology" (which appears
on both client and server, although not all the above messages do).

I haven't checked, but I *think* this message is telling us that set_sizes()
has called itself recursively with a smaller size than requested. But only
slightly smaller, since the "Creating a map of size ..." message reflects the
actual size chosen.

To the original reporter: do you see the "too big for this topology" message?
Your extract suggests not.

  <http://gna.org/bugs/?21185>