List:       freeciv-dev
Subject:    Re: [Freeciv-Dev] [bug #20111] generate_packets.py asserts against packet types above 255
From:       Marko Lindqvist <cazfi74 () gmail ! com>
Date:       2012-09-17 18:16:13

On 17 September 2012 20:58, Gilles J. Seguin <segg2@videotron.ca> wrote:
> why do i received comment that this a year ago
> changed/proposition/whatever ?
>
> please help stupid people
>
>> On Thu, 2012-08-30 at 03:29 +0200, Marko Lindqvist wrote:
>
> that looks like a week ago

 Let me repeat: This (week old ticket) was bugfix to actual protocol
change almost a year ago.

 Size of type field was increased to 16bit as one of the first commits
that went in when 2.5 development started (timed that way so it
wouldn't break compatibility in the middle of the cycle) Howeverf,
assert remained that prevented now-legal values from being accepted.

>> When size of packet type field was increased, assert forcing maximum type
>> number of 255 was left to generate_packets.py.
>>
>> Fix attached.

 Also, what kind of connection you have if you have such problems with
freeciv bandwidth usage as you claim? Do you have any idea how much 1
byte/packet increase makes in percents? (maybe it's not totally
insignificant but you have not complained about feature changes that
have increased bandwidth usage in orders of magnitude more)

 - ML