List:       freebsd-www
Subject:    Re: option sort order in usage/man pages/documentation
From:       Mateusz Piotrowski <0mp () FreeBSD ! org>
Date:       2018-08-31 19:02:04

Hello,

On Thu, 30 Aug 2018 10:50:46 +0300 Yuri Pankov <yuripv@yuripv.net> wrote:

>I'm working on some man page updates, and, thinking about consistency,
>been wondering if there's any policy set on the order of options that
>one should use in usage messages/man pages/other documentation, i.e. is
>it 'ABCabc', 'AaBbCc', or 'aAbBcC' (or anything else really, I hope
>'unsorted' isn't possible answer here).

FWIW, I've started creating a wiki page with some style guides for manpages.
It'd be nice to move it to something like style.mdoc(5) later on:

https://wiki.freebsd.org/MateuszPiotrowski/MdocStyleGuide

At the moment my notes are focused mostly on the mdoc syntax. It would be great
to add some guidelines for things like the sorting order.

Apart from the order of 'ABCabc' we should also think about the order of long
options ("--libxo") and command modifiers, which are sometimes included in the
same list (although usually put at the end of it).

Best,
Mateusz