List:       freebsd-www
Subject:    Re: cgi/ports.cgi: Last database update
From:       Glen Barber <gjb () FreeBSD ! org>
Date:       2013-06-23 3:56:32

On Mon, Jun 17, 2013 at 01:52:34PM +0400, Ruslan Makhmatkhanov wrote:
> Glen Barber wrote on 17.06.2013 01:02:
> >On Sun, Jun 16, 2013 at 08:58:04PM +0400, Ruslan Makhmatkhanov wrote:
> >>Hi Glen,

> >>Any news?
> >>

> >Sorry for the delay here.
> >
> >So, there are a few different problems all in this area, that are all
> >related to the same underlying infrastructure.  But, here's the short
> >version:
> >
> >I am in the midst of deprecating the machine that used to be responsible
> >for doing the doc/www builds (previously known as red.FreeBSD.org).
> >Well, to be more clear, it is already (physically) deprecated, but its
> >services have been moved to a jail on a different system.
> >
> >The problem I've run into is that there are a few things that are so
> >intertwined, and dependent on the filesystem, that it is actually quite
> >much of a mess to untangle.
> >
> >I have some (I think most) of these running within the new system.
> >(These are where some of the random error emails originated a few weeks
> >ago, actually.)  But there are still some service-untangling to do.
> >
> >Some of the filesystem-dependent things appear to use cvs-style
> >checkouts of doc/www (meaning, different directories), and I think this
> >is the core of the problem with the CGI stuff not working.
> >
> >Getting this working again is a very high priority for me, but
> >unfortunately was out of town last week unexpectedly, so not a whole lot
> >of untangling got accomplished.
> >
> >Once I get the CGI hosting moved from the current setup to the new
> >setup, some (if not all) of these website CGI problems should go away as
> >a general side effect of the updates.
> >
> >I hope, worst case, to have everything fully functional on the new
> >system within the week.  When this happens, I'll send a heads-up to
> >ops-announce@ mailing list, since I found with the last move that some
> >things did unexpectedly break, so while I can test the majority of the
> >services provided here, I likely will miss something.
> >
> >I know it is not the answer you wanted to hear.  But I am working on it,
> >and just need a bit more time to make sure I do not break everything,
> >since there are a lot of interdependencies here.
> >
> >Glen
>
> Thank you for such an extended response, Glen. Feel free to ping me
> if you need any help with testing of the new setup (from web-user
> point of view).

I appreciate your offer to help debug.  I will certainly ask for your
help if needed.

I was a able to fix the original issue without any special hacks and

    http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/ports.cgi?query=gajim&stype=all&sektion=all

now shows up-to-date information.

I'm going to babysit this update for about a day or so before
considering it "done", so please let me know if you see anything
strange.  Note that the updates are to happen every 2 hours UTC time, so
if something is not reflected within 10 minutes, do not panic.

This is still running on the old system, so I have yet to do the other
magic to move things around.

Glen