List:       freebsd-www
Subject:    Re: www/103522: Search interface oddity
From:       "Simon L. Nielsen" <simon () freebsd ! org>
Date:       2006-09-23 17:30:37

The following reply was made to PR www/103522; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "Simon L. Nielsen" <simon@FreeBSD.org>
To: Daniel Gerzo <danger@FreeBSD.org>
Cc: Joseph Koshy <jkoshy@FreeBSD.org>, freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2006 19:21:50 +0200

 On 2006.09.23 18:24:33 +0200, Daniel Gerzo wrote:
 > Hello Joseph,
 >
 > Saturday, September 23, 2006, 5:56:48 PM, you wrote:
 >
 > >>Number:         103522
 > >>Category:       www
 > >>Synopsis:       Search interface oddity
 >
 > > Searching for 'FreeBSD' using the search box returns 'Nothing found'.
 >
 > Ah well, the search box is really broken, I think we should finally
 > switch to google/yahoo search as proposed in the past...

 When I looked at Yahoo! search last (probably ~6 months ago) it was
 only possible to set it to limit the first search to freebsd.org, but
 subsequent searches where generic, which is not really optimal.

 For reasons, which has been discussed many times before, I don't
 really think using Google search is an option.

 It would be great if somebody could improve our current search
 solution which, despite wosch's hard work on it, still seem to have
 problems often.  Rambler has also offered that we could probably use
 their system for search, but unfortunately I haven't had time too look
 more at that.

 --
 Simon L. Nielsen