List:       freebsd-stable
Subject:    Re: Major upgrade
From:       Mike Meyer <mwm () mired ! org>
Date:       2001-03-14 18:24:12

Mike Harding <mvh@ix.netcom.com> types:
> Having done this before I would HIGHLY recommend doing a clean install
> and restoring the 'good stuff' from backup.

Wanting to be able to do this easily is a *very* good reason for
keeping the "good stuff" (basically, anything locally developed or
supported) on a different file system from the "freebsd stuff". It
means the only things you have to restore after a clean install
(including newfs'ing the file systems) are various config files, and
possibly /var/db/pkg if packages are counted as "the good stuff". If
you don't count packages that way, then you need to keep an ls of
/var/db/pkg so you know what to reinstall after the ugprade.

	<mike