List:       freebsd-stable
Subject:    upgrade 3.1 -> 4.0.0 on a 2nd ide disk ?
From:       Laurent Wan <laurent.wan () free ! fr>
Date:       2000-09-29 19:59:20

Hi,

 Recently i was running a 3.1 on the second drive (IDE) of my computer. I
used to boot with the FreeBsd CDrom, like this : boot> 1:wd(0,a).I decided
to upgrade from 3.1 to 4.0.0 with cvsup. Following /usr/src/UPDATING
everything was fine until the reboot (after compile/install of the kernel).
I can't boot with the CDrom any more !(_loadexec failed: arch...). I guess
it's because the loader of the CDrom is a 3.1 version and it doesn't like
to handle a 4.0.0 kernel, because "boot kernel.old" is ok.
 But now, how to continue the procedure ? i tried to reorder the disks with
the bios settings to boot without the CDrom but i get the same error.

 At this point i can theses possibilities
  - buying a 4.X Cdrom.
  - buying an SCSI disk to plug on the DCW390U2W and choose this disk with
the card's bios.
  - updating only to 3.4 ?

regards.

  <--+--- laurent.wan@free.fr ----+-->