List:       freebsd-stable
Subject:    Re: cvsup
From:       "Jeffrey J. Mountin" <jeff-ml () mountin ! net>
Date:       1999-09-03 20:31:39

At 10:32 AM 9/3/99 -0700, Mike Meyer wrote:
>The easy way to "update of the affected bits by hand" is to just do a
>"make" - but you have to know what you're doing! The point of doing
>the "world" makes is that you get the correct set of includes &
>libraries. Those are the only build mechanisms that are supported.

Yep.  Mentioned in Nik Clayton's tutorial, for those that haven't read it...

http://www.nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk/FreeBSD/make-world/make-world.html

>I've found that deleting the /usr/obj tree before doing a buildworld
>makes it run faster. Buildworld walks that full tree twice - once to
>change flags, and once to delete it. Doing the full tree once and the
>things that don't delete because the flags are wrong twice is faster.

It's cleared here as well, but I add a -DNOCLEAN otherwise it will try to
clean a nonexistant tree.  Instead it get's right down to business.

AFAIK, the flag is no problem *if* you remove the files under /usr/obj and
have only used twice otherwise to avoid restarting a partially completed
buildworld.

Jeff Mountin - jeff@mountin.net
Systems/Network Administrator
FreeBSD - the power to serve