List:       freebsd-stable
Subject:    Re: ntp problems stratum 2 to 14?
From:       Dewayne Geraghty <dewaynegeraghty () gmail ! com>
Date:       2020-03-05 21:46:59

> The interrupted system calls (EINTR returned from select()) are normal.
> Notice that each time it happens, it's associated with a SIGALARM being
> delivered to ntpd.  Ntpd uses SIGALARM at 1hz to periodically get
> control and decide whether it's time to poll peers and do other
> periodic work.
>
> You say 10.0.7.6 syncs with some atomic clocks, but in your initial
> posting it was sync'd to its own LOCL clock at stratum 14, which is why
> the ntpd you were asking about refused to sync to it and also fell back
> to its own LOCL clock.  Eventually 10.0.7.6 sync'd to 203.35.83.242,
> then the system you were asking about sync'd to 10.0.7.6.
>
> -- Ian

Thankyou for your insight; comforting to know that its normal/expected, so
I don't need to follow that down.

Yes, I probably caught 10.0.7.6  restarting ntp as I was trying to
determine if there was some new incompatability or I changed some firewall
rule, so I may have inadvertently blocked it.  I apologise for complicating
the original situation/post.  Typically 10.0.7.6 is rebooted when the UPS
needs new batteries, acting as firewall and time server.

--
*** *NOTICE *This email and any attachments may contain legally privileged
or confidential information and may be protected by copyright. You must not