List:       freebsd-stable
Subject:    Re: booting from separate zfs pool
From:       Trond_Endrestøl <Trond.Endrestol () fagskolen ! gjovik ! no>
Date:       2016-04-29 12:03:59

On Thu, 28 Apr 2016 12:44+0500, Eugene M. Zheganin wrote:

> Hi.
>
> So, I'm still struggling with my problem when I cannot boot from a big
> zfs 2T pool (I have written some messages about a year ago, the whole
> story is too long and irrelevant to retell it, I'll only notice that I
> took the path where I'm about to boot from a separate zfs pool closer to
> the beginning of the disk).
>
> I've created such a smaller pool, called it zboot. I've read pjd@ letter
> explaining that when FreeBSD sees several bootable pools, it chooses the
> first one - that's fine with me, since the new pool partition's number
> is smaller than the big one. So, I created zboot, set the mountpoint to
> legacy, wrote the content to it's /boot directory (and yes, I did call
> the 'make installkernel DESTDIR=/zboot') and rebooted.

Are you sure /zboot/boot/zfsloader, /zboot/boot/kernel/kernel,
/zboot/boot/kernel/opensolaris.ko, and /zboot/boot/kernel/zfs.ko
exists when you manually mount the bootfs as /zboot?

What's the bootfs properties on these pools?

Run: zpool get bootfs

For both pools the bootfs property should probably be unset. I have
never unset a bootfs property in my life, but maybe this will work:

zpool set bootfs= zboot
zpool set bootfs= zroot

I have a similar setup in a VM at home due to Oracle VirtualBox in EFI
mode only presenting two drives at boot time, where
zboot/BOOT/20160428-r298705 is set as the bootfs on the zboot pool,
and the mountpoint is set to /bootpool.

Further, boot/loader.conf on the small bootfs redirects the kernel to
use zroot/ROOT/20160428-r298705 as the rootfs, i.e.
vfs.root.mountfrom="zfs:zroot/ROOT/20160428-r298705". The rootfs
contains a symlink named boot, pointing to bootpool/boot.

"df / /bootpool" will show something similar to this:

zroot/ROOT/20160428-r298705  /
zboot/BOOT/20160428-r298705  /bootpool

--
| Vennlig hilsen,               | Best regards,                      |