List:       freebsd-stable
Subject:    Re: [SOLVED][BUG??] Unattended install using bsdinstall and ZFS
From:       "Patrick M. Hausen" <hausen () punkt ! de>
Date:       2015-07-29 7:45:40

Hi, Claus,

> Am 29.05.2015 um 19:17 schrieb Claus Andersen <clan@wheel.dk>:
>
> Hi!
>
> A quick re-cap: Want to do an unattended FreeBSD install using bsdinstall and ZFS. \
> I now have a workaround and consider crying wol^H^H^Hbug.
> The following minimal install script works as expected for UFS:
> [...]
> Hours later I have figure out the following which works(tm):
>
> install-zfs2.txt
> 	DISTRIBUTIONS="kernel.txz base.txz"
> 	RELEASE="10.1"
> 	export ZFSBOOT_DISKS="da0 da1"
> 	export ZFSBOOT_VDEV_TYPE="mirror"
> 	export nonInteractive="YES"
>
> 	#!/bin/sh
> 	echo "Ready for post installation damage..."

Thanks for your detailled report. I can confirm your findings and I was able to do an \
unattended install using these settings:

DISTRIBUTIONS="base.txz doc.txz games.txz kernel.txz lib32.txz"
INTERFACES="em0"
export ZFSBOOT_DISKS="da0 da1"
export ZFSBOOT_VDEV_TYPE="mirror"
export ZFSBOOT_FORCE_4K_SECTORS="1"
export ZFSBOOT_SWAP_SIZE="8g"
export ZFSBOOT_SWAP_MIRROR="1"
export ZFSBOOT_POOL_CREATE_OPTIONS="-O compress=lz4 -O checksum=fletcher4"
export nonInteractive="YES"

Yet, there are still 2 things that prevent a truly unattended installation. First, at \
least for me, the installer alway displays a dialog with debug messages which needs \
to be explicitly confirmed at the end of the installation. This is not the case if I \
use UFS. With UFS it just reboots into the freshly installed system.

I could work around that one by explicitly calling "reboot" at the end of the shell \
script part of installerconfig.

Second, if you do remote installation via IPMI and serial console over IP, the \
standard install environment copied from CD calls this code in /etc/rc.local:

[...]
else
    # Serial or other console
    echo
    echo "Welcome to FreeBSD!"
    echo
    echo "Please choose the appropriate terminal type for your system."
    echo "Common console types are:"
    echo "   ansi     Standard ANSI terminal"
    echo "   vt100    VT100 or compatible terminal"
    echo "   xterm    xterm terminal emulator (or compatible)"
    echo "   cons25w  cons25w terminal"
    echo
    echo -n "Console type [vt100]: "
    read TERM
    TERM=${TERM:-vt100}
fi

IMHO hardwiring this is not a good idea. Can be solved by simply commenting out the \
unwanted parts, but this should be configurable in installerconfig. Currently it \
                quite defeats the purpose of
*unattended* installations. At least I expect "power on, get some coffee, login via \
ssh into newly installed system" ;-)

Kind regards
Patrick M. Hausen
Leiter Netzwerke und Sicherheit
--
punkt.de GmbH * Kaiserallee 13a * 76133 Karlsruhe
Tel. 0721 9109 0 * Fax 0721 9109 100