List:       freebsd-stable
Subject:    Re: High load w/ almost no CPU usage
From:       John-Mark Gurney <jmg () funkthat ! com>
Date:       2015-02-05 18:50:21

Matthew Grooms wrote this message on Thu, Feb 05, 2015 at 11:45 -0600:
> 45288 root        281 -22 r30F   735M   547M select  2 194:15 0.00%

281 is a lot of threads...  Try running w/ top -H to split out the
threads into seperate lines...  Also, look at how quickly the cpu time
grows on this process...  As it looks like most of the cpu is on this
thread, you should be able to do (cpu use over time) / ncores and get
a better picture of how much cpu this process is using...

Also, you might want to look at using dtrace to profile the process
to see what is happening..  It could be that freeswitch rolled it's
own spin locks, and when some maintainance task triggers, it wakes
everyone up, but can't make much progress since some are spinning
waiting for another lock..

Good luck!

--
  John-Mark Gurney				Voice: +1 415 225 5579