List:       freebsd-stable
Subject:    Re: CPUTYPEs includig avx are suspicious with clang in stable/10
From:       Dimitry Andric <dim () FreeBSD ! org>
Date:       2014-12-23 21:13:40

On 23 Dec 2014, at 08:00, Harry Schmalzbauer <freebsd@omnilan.de> wrote:

> Bezüglich Dimitry Andric's Nachricht vom 22.12.2014 21:49 (localtime):
>> On 19 Dec 2014, at 17:06, Harry Schmalzbauer <freebsd@omnilan.de> wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm seeing sporadic problems (core dumps) with binaries compiled with
>>> CPUTYPE=core-i-avx.
>>> They run fine on IvyBridge, but fail on Haswells.
>>> Stripping avx from MACHINE_CPU (by defining CPUTYPE=corei7 instead of
>>> core-i-avx) solved all crashes on the haswell system.
>>
>> Can you provide a concrete test case?  E.g. binaries with both
>> optimizations, of which one exhibits the crash?
>
> At least this is something I can do at the momen. Please find them here
> (i386 versions):
> http://www.omnilan.de/downloads/pkg-static.core-i-avx
> http://www.omnilan.de/downloads/pkg-static.core7
>
> The former crashes on Haswell while running fine on IvyBridge, the
> latter has been compiled with CPUTYPE=corei7 instead of core-i-avx and
> doesn't show problems on any syste,

And of course I can't find any Haswell machine right at this minute.  If
you are not able to produce a backtrace and register dump, please upload
compressed core dumps from your Haswell system somewhere.  (Take care
that they are produced by exactly the same executable listed above.)

-Dimitry

["signature.asc" (signature.asc)]