List:       freebsd-stable
Subject:    Re: 10.1RC1 armv6 RPI-B stuck in single user mode
From:       Alban Hertroys <haramrae () gmail ! com>
Date:       2014-10-29 13:44:00

On 29 October 2014 14:09, Kurt Jaeger <lists@opsec.eu> wrote:
> Hi!
>
>> We have a Raspberry Pi here that was working fine, but because my
>> colleagues tend to reboot the thing by unplugging the power, the root
>> file-system got dirty.
>> To fsck the root file-system, I attempted to boot it into single-user
>> mode using nextboot -o "-s" -k kernel.
>>
>> Unfortunately, it never shows the single user mode prompt. The system
>> gets stuck trying to mount root from ufs:/dev/mmcsd0s2a
>>
>> And it does that every time I attempt to boot it, because that
>> nextboot flag never gets cleared!
>> There doesn't appear to be any method of interrupting the boot loader
>> on the Pi either.
>>
>> How do I get out of this pickle?
>
> Put the SD card into some other device, e.g. some laptop with FreeBSD,
> run the fsck there ?

I was afraid that would be the answer; card readers are a bit hard to
find here at the office. For example; to create the current SD card I
had to "borrow" a laptop that someone had brought in to our helpdesk.

Obviously, I'll need an SD cardreader at some point anyway, but I was
hoping for a quick workaround.