List:       freebsd-stable
Subject:    Re: FreeBSD8.0 sound on Dell Optiplex 960
From:       Richard Kuhns <rjk () wintek ! com>
Date:       2010-02-25 20:11:32

On 02/25/10 13:42, Richard Kuhns wrote:
> On 02/25/10 12:38, Tom Evans wrote:
>> On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 5:19 PM, Richard Kuhns<rjk@wintek.com>   wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I'm hoping someone can give me some help getting audio working on this
>>> beast. I'm by no means an audiophile; I just like to listen to the
>>> occasional CD and/or online station while I work. None of the jacks on the
>>> back of the tower seem to do anything.
>>>
>>> In addition, when starting a Virtual Machine under VirtualBox, I get a popup
>>> saying:
>>>
>>> "Some audio devices (PCM_in, PCM_mic) could not be opened". Under Details,
>>> the Error ID is HostAudioNotResponding.
>>>
>>> $ cat /dev/sndstat
>>> FreeBSD Audio Driver (newpcm: 32bit 2009061500/i386)
>>> Installed devices:
>>> pcm0:<HDA ATI R6xx HDMI PCM #0 HDMI>   (play) default
>>> pcm1:<HDA Analog Devices AD1984A PCM #0 Analog>   (play/rec)
>>> pcm2:<HDA Analog Devices AD1984A PCM #1 Analog>   (play/rec)
>>>
>>> Per the snd_hda manpage, I'm also attaching the hda-related output from a
>>> verbose boot.
>>>
>>> Any help would be greatly appreciated!
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>          - Richart
>>
>> Your default device is currently the HDMI output on your graphics
>> card. You probably want to play with sysctl snd.default_unit=1 (or 2)
>> to set it to one of the analog outputs. One should be the front audio,
>> the other one should be the back.
>>
>> Once you've got it sorted out, add to /etc/sysctl.conf to persist it.
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Tom
>
> OK, now I can get sound from both vlc and xmms as long as I plug the speakers
> into the headphone jack on the front of the tower, which is a major improvement!
> It doesn't make any difference which (non-zero) value I give to
> hw.snd.default_unit. VMs no longer complain at startup, but there's still no
> audio from them; there's also no sound from flash. I'm pretty sure that's what
> BBC Radio uses, and I've always liked to listen to Radio 4's news at 1 (which is
> 8 AM for me).
>
> Many thanks for your help!

While I know it's generally bad form to follow up to myself, I've made some more
progress and it might be useful to someone else.

The problem with flash was apparently that I had to symlink
/usr/compat/linux/lib/libssl.so.5 to the currently installed version,
libssl.so.0.9.8g. Strange but true...

At any rate, I now have sound from everything I did before except for VMs under
Virtual Box.

Once again, thanks, Tom, for your help.

--
Richard Kuhns <rjk@wintek.com>     My Desk:          765-269-8541
Wintek Corporation                 Internet Support: 765-269-8503