List:       freebsd-stable
Subject:    Re: when make installkernel doesn't
From:       "J.F. Noonan" <jfn () msc ! com>
Date:       2003-01-30 21:59:23

On Wed, 29 Jan 2003 at 3:34pm Chris BeHanna wrote:

> On Wednesday 29 January 2003 11:44, J.F. Noonan wrote:
>
>     make installworld doesn't touch the kernel bits

I mistyped, I'd meant installkernel.

In any event, the solution was to mount the correct partitions!
The machine has both an IDE and a SCSI drive.  For some reason
that I never bothered to figure out, the system never would boot
from the SCSI drive so I left / on the IDE and put everything else
on the SCSI (once the system is up and running most of the
activity is on the SCSI, so performance is not hurt by this.)

Well at some point during the upgrade, presumably during
mergemaster, I must have said 'yes' to an offer to 'update' my
fstab.  So after I rebooted I was running updated 4.7-stable on my
root drive and the VERY OLD 4.4 or 4.5 userland from the old IDE
partitions.  (A long time ago the system had only the IDE).

Moral: not only should one do level 0 dumps before starting this
sort of thing (i was about 5 minutes from restoring mine), but do
try and remember how you actually build your systems before to
start messing about with them.

Thanks,

--

Joseph F. Noonan