List:       freebsd-stable
Subject:    IPv6 on sis0: All Hosts multicast only received when tcpdump is running
From:       wolfgang () lyxys ! ka ! sub ! org (Wolfgang Zenker)
Date:       2002-09-30 23:38:34

Hello everybody,

I just replaced the motherboard on my desktop machine with a ECS S5A,
using the SIS 735 chipsets integrated LAN adapter. It is found on boot as:
  sis0: <SiS 900 10/100BaseTX> port 0xd400-0xd4ff mem 0xcffdd000-0xcffddfff irq 5 at device 3.0 on pci0
  sis0: Ethernet address: 00:07:95:29:5a:06
  miibus0: <MII bus> on sis0
  rlphy0: <RTL8201L 10/100 media interface> on miibus0
  rlphy0:  10baseT, 10baseT-FDX, 100baseTX, 100baseTX-FDX, auto

At the same time I upgraded the machine to 4-STABLE of about Sep 28.
Works fine so far with the exception that packets sent to the "All Hosts"
multicast address "ff02::1" are apparently not received, unless tcpdump
is running on sis0. If I send e.g. a "ping6 -w ff02::1%de0" on my gateway
machine (using 4-STABLE from around Aug 6), the desktop machine does not
answer unless tcpdump is running on sis0.
I could live without answering pings, unfortunately at the same time it
means that the machine isn't getting the router announcements from my
gateway and fails to set the link prefix and default route.

If you are running 4-STABLE from Sep 28 or later, could you please check
if All Hosts multicast packets are still received on your host, especially
if you use the sis driver?

Thanks,
Wolfgang