List:       freebsd-stable
Subject:    hang in sysctl -a
From:       Don Bowman <don () sandvine ! com>
Date:       2002-06-30 19:35:43

I'm running into a problem where sysctl -a seems to
hang up the machine. This occurs (I think) when the
amount of kernel memory is low(?). For example,
as I bump up my nmbclusters number, I will run into this
problem (somewhere around 128K nmbclusters for me).

$ sysctl -a
vm.stats.vm.v_kthreadpages: 0
vm.stats.misc.zero_page_count: 196962
vm.stats.misc.cnt_prezero: 201588
vm.max_proc_mmap: 43690
vm.msync_flush_flags: 3
vm.max_launder: 32
vm.pageout_stats_max: 7208
vm.pageout_full_stats_interval: 20
vm.pageout_stats_interval: 5
vm.pageout_stats_free_max: 5
vm.swap_idle_enabled: 0
vm.defer_swapspace_pageouts: 0
vm.disable_swapspace_pageouts: 0
vm.pageout_lock_miss: 0

and then the machine hangs. You can still ping it, but
nothing works, ^C on that shell doesn't do anything,
can't ssh new connections in, etc.
It always hangs after the same variable (vm.pageout_lock_miss).

Any suggestions? Anybody else seen anything similar?
This is with 4.6-STABLE.

--don