List:       freebsd-stable
Subject:    Apple HFS filesystem mountable?
From:       "Bas v.d. Wiel" <bas () kompas-media ! nl>
Date:       2002-02-04 0:17:05

Hi all,
After experimenting with Netatalk/Samba as a server for a mixed environment
with NT and Mac clients I started wondering whether I could mount Mac HFS
volumes. It'd be nice to have this option for serving the occasional HFS-CD,
nothing mission-critical really. The ports collection doesn't give any
convincing HFS support, neither does a search on Google. It did turn out
that Linux supports HFS but I prefer BSD.
Is there a 'mount' command that lets me hook HFS disks up to my unix
filesystem? If not, are there any plans to create such an option? Will we
see it anytime soon in -STABLE? I don't know much about Mac OS X, but I'd
guess it doesn't use traditional HFS so maybe my question is rapidly
becoming redundant..
If nothing works, I can still pump the CD's across the LAN to my Netatalk
test server which does an abolutely wonderful job, coexists nicely with
Samba 2.2.2 and is rock solid. I'm growing more and more fond of FreeBSD
every day!!

Bas