List:       freebsd-smp
Subject:    Re: 370DLE motherboard
From:       Mike Smith <msmith () FreeBSD ! ORG>
Date:       2000-08-28 8:53:23

> Just tested on Supermicro 370DLE motherboard and had problem with dual CPU.

These aren't actually "problems" as such; they're fairly consistent with
expected results.

> The fxp0 is the primary network link, and the sk0 is a back-to-back connection
> to the other 370DLE (both are identical).
>
> With one CPU installed, the sk0 throughput is 900 Mbps.
> With two CPU installed, the sk0 throughput drops to 837 Mbps (non_SMP kernel).
> With two CPU installed + SMP kernel, the sk0 throughput drops to 770 Mbps.
>
> Case 1 and 3 are expected, however, the case 2 is NOT expected (non_SMP kernel).

Actually, it's not entirely unexpected.  I'd accept that even if the
second CPU is idle, there is extra latency somewhere in the chipset due
to its presence.

> The dmesg shows some information about timer (8254) interrupt issue.
>
> APIC_IO: Testing 8254 interrupt delivery
> APIC_IO: Broken MP table detected: 8254 is not connected to IOAPIC #0 intpin 2
> APIC_IO: routing 8254 via 8259 and IOAPIC #0 intpin 0
> Waiting 7 seconds for SCSI devices to settle
> SMP: AP CPU #1 Launched!
>
> Both machines have the same message. I wonder if the 4.1 does not recognize
> the board well, or there is something wrong with "ServerWork LE" chipset.

No, this is a harmless bug.  It's common for systems to lie about the
8254 interrupt routing, and we should probably complain less bitterly
about it.