List:       freebsd-security
Subject:    Re: (no subject)
From:       Thomas Cannon <root () noops ! org>
Date:       2001-01-30 9:26:46

> > critical IPs are placed in the ignore file.  The DNS and email
> > servers I did not consider, but they will be added.  Thanks for the
> > tip.
>
> "It's too difficult", etc.

Firewall policy has a simple rule:

Deny all not allowed

When setting up something that will auto-ban hosts or networks, you need
the opposite of the firewall rule -- namely, to allow tings you don't
want banned. Surely you can see where I'm going. It's an obvious
conclusion, I'd think. It might be okay for a desktop machine, but nothing
more advanced....

Lest I sound like I'm picking on some vendor/writer of code... logcheck
rocks.

-tcannon