List:       freebsd-security
Subject:    Re: MD5 Collisions...
From:       Norberto Meijome <freebsd () meijome ! net>
Date:       2007-12-05 1:44:45

On Tue, 04 Dec 2007 13:43:39 +0100
Iang <iang@iang.org> wrote:

> Perhaps, 1st two paras:
>

> ==============
> Md5 is a cryptographic message digest algorithm.  It takes
> as input a message of arbitrary length and produces as
> output a 128-bit ``fingerprint'' or ``digest'' of the input.
>   Such algorithms are intended for applications where a
> large file must be ``compressed'' in a secure manner,
> suitable as a digital signature or as an input to a
> public-key cryptosystem for digital signature or encryption
> purposes.
>
> MD5 is no longer recommended as a cryptographic message
> digest algorithm, although it functions very well as a big
> checksum.  It is now feasible (2004) to produce two messages
> having the same MD5 message digest (``collision'' attack),
> and attacks of this nature are getting better and faster.
> It is still conjectured to be computationally infeasible
> (2007) to produce any message having a given prespecified
> target message digest (``preimage'' attack).
> ==============
>

> It's worth checking carefully ... discussing the minutiae of
> cryptographic algorithms is like angels dancing on a pin.

thanks Iang - looks good to me.

btw, i just checked man 3 md5 , and it may need updating - it refers to 1999..
"
 MD5 has not yet (1999-02-11) been broken, but sufficient attacks
     have been made that its security is in some doubt....
"

{Beto|Norberto|Numard} Meijome

Commitment is active, not passive. Commitment is doing whatever you can to
bring about the desired result. Anything less is half-hearted.

Warned.