List:       freebsd-security
Subject:    More on freebsd-update (WAS: Is the server portion of
From:       suporte () wahtec ! com ! br
Date:       2005-10-31 16:25:45

> Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2005 07:34:28 -0700
> From: Colin Percival <cperciva@freebsd.org>
> Subject: Re: Is the server portion of freebsd-update open source?
> To: markzero <mark@darklogik.org>
> Cc: freebsd-security@freebsd.org
>
> markzero wrote:
> > No this isn't insufficient, what is insufficient is that I currently
> > can't run a local freebsd-update server. I'm quite limited by bandwidth
> > here, you see. What would make more sense in my situation would be to
> > have a local mirror of the 'official' freebsd-update server so that
> > all of my machines can sync to that rather than all of them downloading
> > over the WAN.
>
> Go ahead. :-):-)
>
> FreeBSD Update relies entirely upon static files served over HTTP, so if
> you point your favourite HTTP mirroring tool at update.daemonology.net
> you can create a local mirror.
>
> Another approach which is likely to be more useful is to set up an HTTP
> proxy: Since many files on the FreeBSD Update web server won't be fetched
> by most systems (FreeBSD Update attempts to use binary patches, and only
> falls back to fetching complete files if the patching fails), using a
> caching HTTP proxy will use far less bandwidth than mirroring everything.
>
> Colin Percival

Hi,

I have two questions to add to this thread...

1- if and when freebsd-update will be the official freebsd system binary
update? Like, when it will be part of freebsd structure, with a dedicated
server and stuff? ... It's far better then updating by cvs.

2- for future plans,  is there any possibility to customize or add some
features to kernels on official freebsd-update server? IPSEC is quite
important on security.  Since there isn't a LKM to use IPSEC (correct me if
I'm wrong), when someone compiles the kernel to add it, he looses the
freebsd-update kernel update.

Regards,
--aristeu

PS: is there a way to use IPSEC without compiling the kernel?