List:       freebsd-scsi
Subject:    Re: (null): MODE_SENSE_BIG - UNIT ATTENTION asc=29 ascq=00 error=04
From:       "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken () kdm ! org>
Date:       2000-06-26 7:04:09

On Mon, Jun 26, 2000 at 08:53:35 +0200, Rafal Grabowski wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am running FreeBSD 4.0 Release. When I boot my system I am getting the
> following message from the kernel:
>
> (null): MODE_SENSE_BIG - UNIT ATTENTION asc=29 ascq=00 error=04
>
> The system works fine, but I would like to know what that message means.
> Can someone help me? What documentation should I check?

That's actually an ATAPI error, not a SCSI error.

If you want to know whether or not it is a problem, I would suggest
contacting Soren Schmidt <sos@FreeBSD.org>, who is the author of the ATA
subsystem.

FWIW, in the SCSI world, a unit attention is the expected error condition
after a bus or bus device reset.  (In most cases, SCSI adapters reset the
bus when the system boots.)  Once you've gotten the error condition,
the state is cleared and the next command will proceed without a unit
attention error.

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry