List:       freebsd-scsi
Subject:    Re: Tapes written on 2.2.8 not readable on 3.2 (was Re: PR docs/6681)
From:       J Wunsch <j () uriah ! heep ! sax ! de>
Date:       1999-06-02 6:05:06

As nclayton@lehman.com wrote:

> > Seems to me on brief experiment,
> >  3.2 can write data that 2.2.8 can read,
> > but 2.2.8 tapes are not readable on 3.2 system
> > (a disaster for anyone relying on backup tapes (not me thankfully)).

I think that's the well-known problem (*) that the defaults of 3.x and
-current differ for some tape drives, for whatever reason.  In
particular, the current driver doesn't trust the user ;-) to default
to variable mode for QIC > 150, as the pre-CAM tape driver did.  Thus,
tapes written in variable mode previously aren't readable by default.

However, the world is not that bad, the old tapes are readable without
problems if you use `mt blocksize variable' before reading them.  At
least, i haven't seen a tape so far i could not read that had been
written with the old system.

(*) Examining the archive of this list for the subject `tape' should
reveal you a number of threads discussing it.

--
cheers, J"org