List:       freebsd-scsi
Subject:    Re: flaky CDR?
From:       Zach Heilig <zach () gaffaneys ! com>
Date:       1998-11-26 0:31:51

On Wed, Nov 25, 1998 at 04:26:50PM -0500, spork wrote:
> I just installed a Matsushita CW-7502 on a -stable machine from late
> August.  There is one other scsi device on the chain (a hdd, seagate) and
> the controller is an NCR 53C810.  This machine is not running CAM.

There are two different known potential problems with the CW-7502.

  #1 is the wrong firmware on the CD-R.  Make sure you have the latest
firmware for the version of drive you have.  3.x firmware is not
compatible with 4.x drives, and vice-versa (some 7502's are shipped
with the wrong firmware).  These are (appearantly) flashable.

(sorry, I forgot the exactly where to get this, I started here:
  http://www.fadden.com/cdrfaq/  )

  #2 is a compatibility problem with NCR chips that don't have the
latest firmware.

I happen to have gotten "lucky", and slipped throught both of those
problems.

> To burn a cd using cdrecord, I have to try about 4 times.  If it doesn't
> work, I get the error below.  This also shows up occasionaly when I try to
> mount the drive for reading.  Any ideas what this could be?

> > cd0(ncr0:6:0): asynchronous.
> > cd0(ncr0:6:0): ILLEGAL REQUEST asc:21,0 Logical block address out of range
> > cd0(ncr0:6:0): ILLEGAL REQUEST asc:21,0 Logical block address out of range

Sorry, I don't know the answer as to which problem you are having.  I
have a CW-7502 attached to an NCR card, but have not seen those problems.

--
Zach Heilig (zach@gaffaneys.com)

Woah!  Put me down as absolutely against this position.  Put my face on
your dart board, if you must! (Stephen McKay)