List:       freebsd-scsi
Subject:    Re: target mode (CAM & in general)
From:       "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken () plutotech ! com>
Date:       1998-11-24 5:47:03

Ted Buswell wrote...

> I can see from grepping that target mode has at least been partially
> implemented for the adaptec chip(s); is anybody currently working on
> this code or is this (understandably) a pretty much dormant area of
> CAM?  In general, I'm also curious what chips/boards people have had good
> experiences with (possibly in other projects) operating in target-only
> mode, and more interested in success with mixed target/initiator mode.

Justin has been working on target mode for the Adaptec (ahc) driver.  His
test systems have 7890's and 7895's on board.  I don't think he has quite
gotten the target + initiator sequencer code to fit on a 7880.

It does work well enough that he can talk between two systems via the
initiator and target pt drivers.

If you're going to play around with target mode under CAM, you should
either get an Adaptec 7890/7891/7896/7897 based board, an Adaptec 7895
based board, or a QLogic board.  The Ultra 2 Adaptec chips are preferrable
to the 7895, since they're faster and have more instruction space.  If you
get a QLogic board, you'll want to talk to Matt Jacob first about what
model to get...

If you want more details about the Adaptec target mode stuff, you'll have
to ask Justin directly.

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry