List:       freebsd-scsi
Subject:    Re: scsi disk geometry problems - cannot install FreeBSD.
From:       j () uriah ! heep ! sax ! de (Joerg Wunsch)
Date:       2002-05-28 19:52:43

Patrick Thomas <root@utility.clubscholarship.com> wrote:

> I think this is a problem with having the wrong geometry for my scsi
> disks.

Before guessing, please have a look at the Alt-F2 virtual screen, and
see what error messages do appear there.

> - If my disk manufacturer says: 30,200 cylinders, 4 heads, and "432
> to 737" sectors/track, how do I input that into freeBSD (since
> 432-737 is a range)

You don't, since it's a physical geometry value that is pointless for
the ancient fdisk format.  fdisk always has to use invented numbers
that multiply to less (or equal) than the actual capacity of the
drive.  (Did i write that fdisk is ancient? :-)  It should have used
logical block numbers only right from the beginning, than we didn't
need to care for any "geometry" these days.)