List:       freebsd-questions
Subject:    Re: FreeBSD , NetBSD and OpenBSD
From:       Richard Krush <richard_k () gmx ! net>
Date:       2000-12-31 21:01:26

On Sun, Dec 31, 2000 at 03:16:31PM +0200, Sherif Fayez wrote:
> What is difference between FreeBSD , NetBSD and OpenBSD ?

The main difference between these BSD variants is the goal they
have chosen. FreeBSD's goal is/was to create a powerful free UNIX
which could be used at home desktop system as well as in a huge
company as a server. OpenBSD on the other hand concentrates on
security and support for multiple platforms, thus OpenBSD is very
good as firewall, but not very good as home desktop system (mainly
because they lack many ports). NetBSD's main concern is the support
for multiple platforms and it's the best if you need a powerful
BSD system but only have some very old hardware. For technical
differences I would recommend looking at their websites.

> Does any of them have a GUI ? and how it works ?

As for the GUI, they all have many (or even all) the windowmanagers
available via ports, but they are based on console.

Good luck!

--
| Richard Krushelnitskiy  | "A mathematician is a blind man in a dark room |
| ^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^  |  looking for a black cat which isn't there."   |